[luau] dns question?

R Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Wed Mar 6 02:02:47 PST 2002

Does windows have an equivalent of /etc/hosts?  I ask because I have a
mail server for my lan with a private ip.  My boxes use the internet and
public dns servers.  I am guessing that the only way that I can send
mail through the local mail server from a windows box to another lan
client and be able to use a domain (fantasy, not registered) name is to
set up a domain server on my lan that resolves my private ip address to
whatever fantasy domain I choose.  If you made it through that last
sentence, is this correct?  Is there a way to use fictional domains on a
private lan using public dns without setting up a private dns?  I know
that the domains can't be anything registered because the public dns's
will resolve them to sites unwanted.

scott