[luau] Local linux cluster support

Mitchel Kagawa mitchel at navships.com
Fri Jun 28 10:54:00 PDT 2002

LUAU Gurus,

   Allow me to introduce myself,  My name is Mitchel... I am the Sys. Admin. for a local tech company located in downtown Honolulu.  My company is in the final stages of purchasing a Linux Beowulf cluster that will reside in a basement office in our building.  We are going to be awarding the hardware contract next week.  We are split between 2 vendors, one is local here in Hawaii and one is in California.  The local vendor, as part of their service contract, will provide hardware support as well installation of MPI and scheduler software.  The mainland vendor will of course only provide telephone support, however their system is approximately 20% cheaper. I am having a hard time trying to convince my boss to "buy hawaii" because a $50k price difference is hard to swallow.

  So here's my dilema... If we are forced to purchase from the mainland vendor I will be looking to sub contract some service for our computer from a local tech company.  However I am having the hardest time finding a local company with expreience setting up and maintaining a beowulf cluster.  So I figure one of you LUAU gurus must know of someone.  Can you help me out?  Thank

~MK