[luau] NEWS: Can Microsoft Patents Stop Open Source File-Sharing?

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 20:06:00 PDT 2002

Nowadays, patent claims are very narrowly construed.  Furthermore, that
fact that you have a patent doesn't necessarily mean that it is
enforceable or even valid.  Current stats are more than fifty percent of
the issued patents are held invalid by the court.

Several years ago, I had a chance to review Microsoft's patent
portfolio.  Most of them were very weak and I don't think they can stand
in court.