[luau] bootable raid and the MBR

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Jun 24 19:02:01 PDT 2002

I would try the 2GB partition, periodically check useage with something like
the program "top", then add a swap file if necessary.

Limux actively tries to use the entire RAM, but my system hasn't even
touched the swap file in win2000.  So it'd be silly for me to make a 500MB
swap file.  The idea behind the 2X thing is that people think if you buy
more RAM, you're doing so because you're expecting more useage.  And that
might spill over into swap.  I would buy more ram because I want the same
programs to run better.  So you really have to consider what kind of load is
going on the server, then actually think about how much total physical +
virtual memory you need for that.  The only possible problem is that I once
heard that it might cause problems if the system needs to dump the entire
RAM into disk, maybe after a crash or something.  So I've been warned never
to make the Swap smaller than the physical RAM.  But that's the only real
guidline to go buy.  1X all the way up to 3X or more depending on what
you're doing.

-Eric Hattemer