[luau] Beta of small system image for POS terminal ready

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Jun 17 00:56:00 PDT 2002

On Saturday 15 June 2002 22:04, you wrote:
> Ever get a chance at this?  If not, I almost have it ready with an
> inittab and startup scripts (in other words, a full system basically)
> that should be able to boot without modification.
>
> Not quite ready yet though...

I did not get the chance to test it, yet.  I have been besieged by breaking
boxes.  I have built the box that I will use as a test platform for future
registers.  It is based on the following motherboard:

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket370/tusi-m/overview.htm

The tusi-m has this "certification" for compliance with the major distros, it
is found here:

http://www.keylabs.com/linux/results_server.html#asus

I like Asus.  I want a celeron based box because I want it cool.  The holes
where the registers stay have a way of getting hot.  The current test box has
a celeron 766 at 66mhz and 64mb of ram.  It has a 20 gb 5400 rpm maxtor hard
drive.  I will order an ide flash drive soon.  I will also order extra pole
displays and printers in the next 10 days.  This will enable more continuous
testing and piddling.  I am working on securing some space near the stadium
for hands on tweaking.  I want this to be an area open for this project as
well as the LTSP for Hawaiian schools.  It may be more compelling to some of
you to get involved if you don't have to go so far.

Ray asked about the screen.  I will share an observation about accessing this
POS application via ssh or telnet from three unix like distros.  For users
accessing the POS application, their term emulation is set to scoansi in
their .bash_profile.  A keymapping file is also loaded.  Function keys are
very important for the application.  When I access it via a mac running OSX,
the emulation is horrible and the function keys do not work.  When I access
the app from Mandrake's distro, most of the POS screens are okay, some do not
align properly, and the function keys do not work.  When I access the
application from RedHat's distro, the emulation has no problems and the
function keys work fine.  I really don't know enough to understand why this
is, but it is.  It may be important.

Anyhow, I have not yet tested your work.  You are a good soul to continue
endeavoring.  Thanks.  I am getting very close to some substantial testing
and hopefully some progress.  I am about to be less busy, so my latency
should improve.  Despite my recent thundering silence on the matter, I cannot
wait to make this a success.

scott