[luau] WalMart (Lindows) Linux

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jun 16 07:05:01 PDT 2002

Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

While we care a lot about "security", "permissions", and what-have-you.,
those who don't give it a damn seem to attract the overwhelmingly
largest number of users.  Win98 has no security, whatsoever.  Even with
Win2000 and XP, the default installation is to give every user the
administrator (root) priviledge.  So much for the Microsoft-advertised
security of Windows XP!

As Warren mentioned, Lindows licenses its OS from Xandros, which is
based on Corel Linux 3.0 (which was never released by Corel) with an
"exclusive use license" for 18 months.  When the license expires, we
don't know whether Lindows will go to Xandros or Corel for renewal.
 Corel also owns 10% (or 15%) of Xandros, which received an initial
funding of $15M from LGP (Linux Group Partners).

Lindows will charge $90 a year for unlimited downloading of Linux
software.  Downloading software from Lindows is extremely easy, because
Lindows basically operates as a Debian mirror.  WalMart will not do
anything in a small scale, and we should expect WalMart to sell at least
one million Lindows PCs a year (as a starter).  If half of WalMart
customers purchase the Lindows service contract, Lindows will become the
first Linux company to make big bucks.

And all those business ideas of Lindows come from running a Debian
mirror.  Something we living on the isles really should think about.  :-)