[luau] java question

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 14 21:50:01 PDT 2002

Ok, but if anybody thinks this isn't kosher, feel free to slam me.

I'm working on the instrument controller gui for an instrument consisting
of 3 major pieces:  some custom electronics with 2 small embedded linux
devices, a fairly powerful pc acquiring data from the electronics via a
pci fibre device and writing it to disk or SAN, and another pc for the
instrument controller application which uses sockets over ethernet to talk
to and control the other two components.

I've written the ic software in Java, but was a bit, uh, shall we say
short sighted, in that I designed the system for a single user, lo and
behold, there's a requirement for multiple clients to run at the same
time.

Basic use of the client would be for a user to ssh in to the ic machine,
and run the client via tunneling.

So, I don't want to have to support multiple socket connections between the
ic and other systems, so I'm planning on all the status and setup
information to reside in the ic software.

So, I probably explained that badly, but essentially I was trying to
figure out if I should have one application and when a new user logs on, a
gui object would be spun off as another thread, or if I should seperate
what I have into a simplified gui and slightly more advanced server and
use RMI to communicate between multiple gui instances and the server.
Also I was trying to find if maybe both these ideas sucked and there was a
better way.

Anyway, while I'm still interested in advice/input/etc., I spent about
half an hour going the RMI route, and it worked pretty easily, and I don't
think it's too complicated to be supported or used.  I was a little bit
surprised how easy it was to do, and it modularized the code nicely.

-Charles