[luau] LTSP hardware

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jun 12 18:57:00 PDT 2002

The cheapest server with this capability would be a dual Athlon with 2-4GB
of Registered ECC DDR SDRAM.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=183
Something like this motherboard.  Several different brands are available
other than Tyan.

http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT6472Y265
Something like this RAM, although you would need to go with brands other
than Crucial in order to get larger than 512MB sized DIMMs.  You can fit
four of these cheap Crucial DIMMs into the Tyan motherboards for a
respectable 2GB of RAM.  I'd personally shell out the extra money and go for
1GB DIMMs and for 2-3GB, with banks open for a future upgrades if needed.

http://www.3ware.com/
For your hard disks, use 3Ware 7000 series RAID controllers with regular IDE
hard drives.  You can buy several cheap 120 or 160GB drives and make RAID
1+0 or RAID 5 arrays for a fraction of the cost of SCSI RAID.  You get full
hotswap and hotspare capability, and larger storage sizes than SCSI.  Yes
SCSI can be faster, but you don't need that extra speed with LTSP.  You
mainly need massive capacity and failover redundancy.

DO NOT BUY Promise or Highpoint IDE RAID controllers.  They are very poorly
supported on Linux.  Very bad idea.

Add several ethernet cards to spread out the bandwidth usage.  20 LTSP
clients can easily eat the bandwidth of a single 100mbit ethernet port.

http://www.dlink.com/products/adapters/dfe580tx/
This four port 100mbit ethernet card looks interesting, and appears to be
supported by the Linux tulip driver.