[luau] NEWS: How software piracy hurts Free Software

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jun 10 20:07:01 PDT 2002

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06/10/1715243.shtml?tid=51
Free Software advocates have a terrific advantage in encouraging EULA
compliance. Not only can we encourage our friends and colleagues to put
their money where their mouth is by paying the exorbitant license fees to
use the inferior software and be prohibited from making necessary backup
copies, but we can also provide services to companies who are in danger of
being audited by the BSA, helping them to easily convert to Free Software
solutions, provide training, and save them thousands of dollars in fees paid
to the BSA in the process.

We should encourage people and corporations to follow restrictive licenses
of proprietary software precisely. Not only will this give Free Software a
boost in users, but it will give Free Software creators credibility when
they require strict adhesion to the GPL. As long as users and corporations
can justify and rationalize using proprietary software without paying for it
and ignoring the End User License Agreements, Free Software loses its
primary selling points: Freedom.

(read more in the article)