[luau] Re: 1st batch of USAF Dell computers

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jun 9 21:22:01 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 18:45, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> On Sunday, June 9, 2002, at 04:56 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
> >
> > We have BIOS problems with the RAM in all the 233MHz machines.  Some of
> > them have bad RAM.  Jeffrey Zidek thinks he can fix the BIOS problem.
>
> What kind of trouble is the bios having with the ram?

These are 233MHz Pentium II's with a 66MHz system bus.  I think at the
time they were built PC100 RAM wasn't invented yet.  Their BIOSes expect
PC66 RAM.  Although PC100 or PC133 RAM works fine at 66MHz, their BIOSes
complain a bootup, necessitating one to hit F1 on the keyboard to
continue booting.  Jeffrey Zidek thinks that Dell has a BIOS update at
their site that will fix this, so we will hopefully resolve this during
the upcoming week.