[luau] REd hat 7.3 updated but still issues

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Jun 9 18:46:00 PDT 2002

Comments inline/below.

Ray Strode wrote:
>>You can also set that through /proc, which is how a lot of people do it,
>
> Well, that's a good temporary way to do it, but then it loses changes on
> reboot.  sysctl.conf is persistent.

Yeah, as I said, being used to slackware I just stick a setting it
through /proc into one of my startup scripts.  Since RH has sysctl.conf
that's probably the best way to do it.

>>Be careful doign this.  The reason this isn't done by default is to make
>>it more difficult for trojaned copies of common utilities such as "ls"
>>to be left around in various places on the system where people might
>>accidentally run them.  No doubt Google has plenty of information
>>regarding this.
>
> My example added it to the end of the path, so it only gets checked
> after all other directories.

Good point, didn't notice that :)

But think of things like "lls" or "lsl" or similar.  Through since the
person is adding it on their own presumably they'll watch out for those
sorts of things.  It find it better to just get used to typing ./ so
that way you don't feel "out of place" when on other UNIXish systems.
Obviously this is a personal preference thing though.

> --Ray

Comments inline/above.

--MonMotha