[luau] REd hat 7.3 updated but still issues

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Jun 9 15:31:00 PDT 2002

>     I have succesfully loaded RH 7.3 to my computer and doing "dd
> if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/dosc bs=512 count=1" then editing the boot.ini on
> the wonblows side, I now have a good multiboot.
That's good.  Make sure that you redo those steps anytime you upgrade
kernels (That's one reason I don't like doing it that way).

> 1. ) Printer and scanner. Printer is a Compaq IJ600 I can't seem to find
> if it works or not and if there is a driver.
Hmm.  Well, I use CUPS with GIMP-Print for my printing, but that won't
work for you because you don't have a supported printer for that. In
fact, I just tried to look up your printer at
http://www.linuxprinting.org and it appears there is no driver for it.
Red Hat comes with LPRng by default, so you may be able to configure it
to use one of the foomatic drivers for the IJ750 or IJ300 and it /may/
work /somewhat/, but no guarantees. Your best bet is to just try it and
see what happens.  Sorry, I know that's not very good news.

> Scanner is an UMAX Astra 610P on the parallel port.
Scanning is normally done on linux by a program called SANE
(http://www.mostang.com/sane).  More bad news though.  They don't have
full support for the Astra 610P.  Apparently UMAX won't give them any of
the design documents for the ASIC. There is a patch here:
http://umax1220p.sourceforge.net.  It doesn't work with your scanner,
but will in the future so periodically check in there.

> 2. ) ISP sharing. I have gotten it to the point where my computer can
> access the net fine. However, the computers on my internal network are
> having no luck at all.
Again, MonMotha is probably more qualified to answer than me, but if you
type this (as root, all one line, with 192.168.0.0/24 replaced with your
network):

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -o eth0 -j
MASQUERADE

and then type (as root):

/sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

then all your internal computers should get internet until you reboot.

If they do, then type (as root):

/sbin/iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

and this (as root, all one one line):

cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep -v net.ipv4.ip_forward >
/etc/sysctl.conf.tmp

and then:

echo "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf.tmp
mv /etc/sysctl.conf.tmp /etc/sysctl.conf

then your computers should get internet permanently.

> 3. ) Programming c++. I do a simple program in gedit then save. I go to
> bash and do the typical g++ - name file
well actually, you should type g++ -o name file (did you just forget the
o in your explanation?).

> and then try to do the program by typing it's name.  bash says
> "command not found"
try ./name instead of just name.  Basically, by default Linux doesn't
include the current directory in the PATH.  . means current directory,
so by prepending ./ to the name you are telling bash where to find the
program.  Another thing you could do is add the current directory to the
path.

export PATH=$PATH:.

That's temporary, but if you add that to a file called ~/.bash_profile
in your home directory it should become permanent.

>    I still have a few ideas that I am going to try. Thank you all in
> advnce for all of youir help.

np.

--Ray