[luau] Linux ReHat 7.3

Todd Lee todd at LANtech-HI.com
Thu Jun 6 01:19:00 PDT 2002

You can type as "root" at the command line or terminal:
Just put a blank floppy into your drive first...

dd if=/dev/had# bs=512 count=1 of=/mnt/floppy/linux.bin

*where # equals the partition you installed Grub to.  Just put a blank
floppy into your drive.
**You can also change the output to a Windows partition if you have a
shared/mounted Fat32 partition.

Then take the floppy out, shutdown Linux, boot into Windows XP
Open "My Computer"  then go to C:\
Copy your file linux.bin you just made from your floppy to your C:\ drive
Make sure you have show hidden files and operating system files enabled, and
look for a file called boot.ini
Open the file and add a line at the bottom

c:\linux.bin="Red Hat Linux 7.3"

or something similar, close and save.

Reboot, now instead of just XP to choose from the NTLDR you'll have Linux
too!  A good way to put the MS Loader to work.  The good this about this
method as opposed to using Grub or Loadlin to dual boot, is that MS doesn't
ask where you want the boot loader, meaning every time you reload windows
it'll overwrite your Linux boot loader without asking, and you'll have to
find your boot disk.  (I always lose mine ; - )

Hope this helps!

-Todd