[luau] intall problems mdk8.2/K6/Via chipset

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 11:26:00 PDT 2002

Hi everybody:  I posted this on Mdk site but thought I might get more
help locally. As you can see, I am not too familiar with options to use
during "expert" install.  Also, if I decide to download the iso files
again, I could use a little help with the checksum method; basically, I
do not kinow how to use it. Also, I download and burn on a Win98
macchine because my Linux box does not have a burner. Thus not sure if I
can use the checksum method on a windows machine or is this something I
can do later after the iso is burned? Thanks.

I had a very difficult installation of 8.2 and finally had to back out
and reinstalls 8.1. Then I found the errata notes and saw that two of
them applied to me since I have a K-6 processor (AMD K6-2 500), but also
have a Via MVP3 chipset. The instructions are somewhat confusing. For
one case, one is supposed to use the patch option, for the other case
one is supposed to use the no pentium option. Since,  generally in
Linux/Unix one can chain options, I tried booting with the following:
"expert nopentium patch". This seems to work, although I first had to
correct one mistake in the directions where they said the patch should
be on a DOS disk, whereas the install program clearly asks for an EXT2
disk. This kind of non-connect between instructions and reality does not
give one a lot of faith in the directions. In any case, I got to the
screen which asks for the disk with the patch and then asks for options;
I had no idea what to enter there; first I tried nothing which led to a
"failure of Insmod". Then I tried adding nopentium as an option which
led to the same result. So I have no idea how to proceed. This is a CD
from CheapBytes; so maybe I will tried to learn how to use the sum
checking method and download the program from the website. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.