[luau] Taiwan's desperate move into Linux

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jun 4 09:56:00 PDT 2002

Just realized that Slashdot has a thread on this topic.  There are other
very good reasons why I am using the title "desperate", but I won't get
into them (for example, threat of Linux-based software hegemony from
China) right now.

The Slashdot thread, being a largely uncensored forum, also contains a
bunch of ignorance and racial bigotry.  But the following comment
deserves some attention:

Taiwan's economy is half the size of Canada's. It is by no means small.

Canada <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ca.html> [cia.gov]
GDP: purchasing power parity - $774.7 billion (2000 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 4.3% (2000 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $24,800 (2000 est.)

Taiwan <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/tw.html> [cia.gov]
GDP: purchasing power parity - $386 billion (2000 est.)
GDP - real growth rate: 6.3% (2000 est.)
GDP - per capita: purchasing power parity - $17,400 (2000 est.)

One of our key issues, as far as I am concerned, is whether and how we
here in Hawaii may be able to take advantage of this move.