[luau] Help With Dual Boot Install

Michael Ableyev charon at netzero.net
Sat Jun 1 22:13:00 PDT 2002

>The dual boot was successful but I didn't use GRUB or LILO,
>I am just booting into Linux from a floppy for now.

If you try to setup dual boot, do NOT put grub or lilo into the mbr as win2k has a sick problem with it (it will not boot).

I double checked the procedures for using win2k boot.ini and it seems that the procedures I posted earlier are correct. ==>
I have successfully used XP with Slackware by doing the following:

run liloconf (select expert mode) add only the linux partition in the boot order, set the delay timer to 0, and install lilo into
the first sector of your linux partition (again, do NOT install it in the master boot record!).

run dd if=/dev/hdax of=/tmp/linux.bin bs=512 count=1 (replace hdax with the partition you have linux installed on)

copy /tmp/linux.bin to your Win2k c:\

then edit c:\boot.ini and add a line like this:
c:\linux.bin=Lunix

here's an example:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="M$ Winblows XP" /fastdetect
c:\linux.bin="Lunix"