[luau] more Palladium news

Elizabeth Long lizlong at geek.com
Wed Jul 31 16:53:00 PDT 2002

Here's a couple new stories concerning Palladium.

Dancing at the Microsoft Palladium
(check out posting date....strange)
Seems to be articles within an article/summary, dating back to
April, but a lot of good information.

******************

Microsoft's smell of desperation
Consider this a call to arms. Those of us who relish our freedom
need to defend it. Here are some warnings about mistakes we could
make easily that would undermine any effort to prevent the worst
of all fates:

Companies don't have the right to violate our freedoms just to
preserve an old system of making money after it has become obsolete,
but they do have the right to make money. There's no reason why
you should feel inclined to do their thinking for them and come
up with alternative means of collecting revenues, but at least
acknowledge that there's nothing wrong with charging for content.
What's wrong is how they want to charge for content, and how
they want to control your use of that content.

While I'm happy that open source and free software often subvert
the greed and control, sometimes the subversion leads to illegal
piracy. That's when open source and free software deservedly
get a bad reputation, and that's the ammunition companies and
congress use to push unfair legislation. Don't give the enemy
that ammunition or they'll use it to put our freedoms into an
early grave.
It doesn't matter if companies get more than their fair share
for the sales of commercial CDs and DVDs, and it doesn't matter
whether you are outraged that the artists don't get the slice
of income they deserve. You may be right beyond all argument.
Nevertheless, civil disobedience against a company's greed is
not effective when it is expressed through your own greed. The
people of the Boston tea party dumped the tea so that nobody
could use it. That made a much more powerful statement than if
they had stolen the tea. Similarly, if you express your civil
disobedience by stealing music, you are simply making it more
likely that the system we'll end up with is worse than the one
you're complaining about now.

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0731.microsoft-p2.html

And this is an interesting article dated June 26, 2002.  May
be old news to some....
Palladium Clues May Lie In AMD Motherboard Design
Will studying Wave's Embassy systems in the AMD help one to comprehend
the Palladium, which MS is not giving too many details....

Liz