[luau] IBM to buy PricewaterhouseCooper

bhoward at hale.org bhoward at hale.org
Tue Jul 30 15:56:00 PDT 2002

W> Since IBM is betting so heavily on Linux, and since
W> PricewaterhouseCooper has such a strong presence in business consulting
W> world, I fully expect an inevitable mass migration of financial
W> institutions to Linux.

While I think increased presence of Linux on the server side is
definitely the trend, there is no such thing as mass migration (not in
any rapid sense of the term anyways) in any of the major finance
houses.

Companywide migrations happen but at a much more cautious pace due to
the costs of switching technology and technology people - even when
its only switching from one kind of unix to another such as with SunOS
and Linux in this example.  Generally, the focus is on stability and
total cost of supporting the technology in question across all
business and support units within the firm.

Occasional windows of opportunity do arise where an early move to a
technology can buy a brief market advantage but such are generally
rare and often only practical for a specialized unit within the firm.

						Cheers,
						Bruce