[luau] MSWindows

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Jul 28 14:49:01 PDT 2002

> Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head with those last two
> paragraphs.  Linux isn't inherently harder to use for "Average Joe" (who
> doesn't isntall his own OS or most of his software anyway), it's just
> *different*, and that scares Joe.
>
> --MonMotha

I don't think this is true at all.  I have never needed help for ANYTHING in
windows.  On the other hand, anything I attempt in linux usually takes
several days, I ask for help, then it fails anyway.

"The problem is, people think they are smart enough to
install and configure their own computer.  When they realize this isn't
true, they question why doesn't the software engineers design easier to
use software, as if that was the problem to begin with. "

The thing is, I'm not a stupid user or anything.  I have never had real
problems installing programs in windows.  If ever I did, the product was not
worthwhile anyway.  Only about 1:5 times when I try to compile something in
linux does it come out correctly.  Then even with RPMs, they often complain
about obscure library dependencies.  An RPM says it needs libsoq.so.12, then
I look for soq in the rpms, and nothing similar exists.  In windows, its
double click the install file, next, next, next, finish.  There is nothing
easier.  It is obvious that most of the time linux is quite a bit harder to
get things installed on.  Windows doesn't require that the user remember
anything.  Do you really think most of the world moved away from the command
line by pure chance?  No, it allows you to manipulate files and etc. without
learning or remembering any commands.

Now the linux community can sit around and think that everyone but
themselves are stupid and learn the command line interface, but if they
really want anyone else to learn linux, the way to do it is to make it
easier, not to try to convince everyone to work harder.  An install shield
type of program, more gui menus, and other such things would help
considerably.  Command line interfaces are for system administrators and
programmers.  They are good for people who are really into their systems.
However, they are not for average people who just want to install and
uninstall programs.  Look at MacOSX.  The command prompt is there for people
who really like to type in commands, but the GUI is done so well that the
average mac user doesn't even know or need to know that the terminal is
available.  Now maybe you're one of those people who says, "Linux is fine
the way it is, and putting menus and making it easier would just make it for
stupid people.  I'm glad that my friends and I are the only people smart
enough to use linux, because other people would get in the way," but if
you're the type who says, "I wish other people used linux.  That would make
society better," then you can't expect people to say, "Hey, if I could learn
to use vi and type in commands, my life would be much better."

-Eric Hattemer