[luau] MS Office, WordPerfect, StarOffice

Gary Sublett gsublett at lava.net
Sun Jul 28 09:28:01 PDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 08:21:55 -1000
"W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> I have been frequently challenged as to why I am so stubborn about
> WordPerfect and "ignoring" StarOffice/OpenOffice.  It is very
> difficult for me to explain the reason w/o further inviting the
> wraths.  But there was an article in Wall Street Journal which may
> somewhat explain why:

> The Wall Street Journal
> MOSSBERG'S MAILBOX
> By WALTER S. MOSSBERG
> July 25, 2002

[snip]

> In the case of StarOffice, which is essentially identical to the free
> OpenOffice, you are given a family license that covers five PCs. But
> I reviewed the new 6.0 version of StarOffice (equivalent to the 1.0
> version of OpenOffice) recently and found it too complicated, quirky
> and buggy to be a reliable replacement for Microsoft Office for
> mainstream, nontechnical users (read the review).

[snip]

Wayne,

I am somewhat familiar with your ongoing quest regarding WordPerfect and
your opinion of potential substitutes.  I find the included WSJ article
interesting but it does little to explain, in detail, specific
issues/problems with StarOffice/OpenOffice encountered by you or Mr.
Mossberg.  Do have a free cite to the acutal review by Mr. Mossberg?

I am interested in where the alternatives to WordPerfect fail, in your
or his opinion.  Is it  due to not performing as specified, don't have
the required features, don't work like WordPerfect, the user not being
familiar with the applications, or some other _______ (fill in the
blank)?  "Too complicated, quirky and buggy" does not provide much
insight.

--

Gary

  9:24am  up 121 days,  7:51,  6 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01