[luau] MSWindows

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 17:18:00 PDT 2002

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> The argument that windows crashes often is no longer a valid argument.
> Win95 crashed often.  Win98 crashed less often, but ate your disk more
> often.  However, winNT/2000/XP don't crash when configured properly.
> Win2000 was the first usable system of these.  My first windows 2000 system
> went well over a year without a single crash.  Then I upgraded my
> motherboard and all periferals, and reinstalled win2000.  Its been a couple
> of months, and still no crashes.
> -Eric Hattemer

Agreed.  Win2k is actually a usable OS.  Quite frankly, I think it's a
*good* OS.  I'm not a big fan of XP, but that's simply because it seems
like it's designed to treat me like an idiot and I don't like having to
beg billy boy to use my computer again if I swap out too much hardware
(I've swapped out basically everything but the hard drive before,
usually needs a reinstall of windows, but at least it works, linux
usually does fine, jsut needs some config tweaking to load different
drivers).  However, I have only once had Win2k hard crash on me (BSOD).
  I loaded up a new version of my IDE drivers and the system wouldn't
even boot (I finally ended up reinstalling since I couldn't even get to
"safe mode").

All in all, Win2k is a fine OS.  What it's not is a cheap OS.  Linux is
a cheap OS (price wise), and it works for me.

--MonMotha