[luau] Mouse Wheel in Red Hat 7.3

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 11:07:01 PDT 2002

Dan George wrote:
> On Saturday 27 July 2002 08:09, you wrote:
>
>>Just installed Red Hat 7.3 last night.  This is the only distro that
>>does not detect my mouse wheel.  Can anyone help?
 >

>  Same here.  Im actually running an optical (MS) wheel mouse and my
> Linux box doesnt recognize it either.  Wasnt in the configuration table.
> Of course (MS) doesnt have Linux drivers on the CD.  Went to RH and
> it doesnt support the optical wheelmouse either.  I like using it in "uhum"
> W2K and miss it in 7.1 and 7.3.

Just because it's not on the HCL doesn't mean it's not supported.  All
recent MS optical mice have been the same internally, just different
casings.  They all speak the standard USB HID protocol.

The device is /dev/input/mice using the IntelliMouse PS/2 protocol
(commonly IMPS/2).  Do ZAxisMapping and you've got your wheel working in
apps that support a wheel.  For apps that don't support a wheel, use
imwheel (though most recent apps support the Z axis).

--MonMotha