[luau] MSWindows

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 00:40:01 PDT 2002

At 11:51 PM 7/26/2002 -1000, you wrote:

>One last comment....don't you think it's ironic that the GUI front-end
>for Linux such as KDE and GNOME (on default settings anyways) have such
>a strong resemblence to the Windows desktop?  We can't hate Microsoft
>for everything?

1) I wish the resemblance was stronger, then I could find stuff faster.
2) So M$ invented the GUI now? Or even was first to market? Xerox invented
it and Apple got people to buy it. Then M$ got on the bandwagon, and after
a few years of serious effort and several revisions came up with something
... actually usable.

>By the way (sorry this IS the last comment), Redhat's administrative
>tools are a bit confusing, but I believe that new sys admins should
>learn to do everything from commandline.  Someday your system will mess
>up, and you will have to boot into single user mode without any graphic
>interface to work with.

*** Irrational rant mode on ***
This sounds like an excuse to me. If it's that messed up, its time to get
out the backups. For this one (hopefully unlikely) possibility we should
memorize the command line arcana? Put your system on a different partition
from your data, and back it up. If it goes fizz, reload it. Using a GUI all
the while, if possible.
** Irrational rant mode off ***

Whew, what came over me? Where do I get off telling you what to do? Guess I
really don't want to go back to the bad old days.

Dave