[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Michael Ableyev charon at netzero.net
Fri Jul 26 14:59:01 PDT 2002

> Well, if you weren't uploading at the time, there was no cause for the
> extreme packet loss on your end.  I have seen upwards of 40% on my line,
> but it was usually them doing "maintainance" (and it was scheduled for a
> week in advance, so I believe them).  However, if you see heavy packet
> loss while you're uploading, there's a reason.  The reason of course is
> that when the line is maxed and you still want to send more, the device
> just has to drop the packet once the queue gets full.
>
> This is why you commonly see terrible download speeds when uploading on
> cabel modems.  The TCP acks are being dropped, and the other end throttles.
>
> This is why people move the queue from the cable modem (which is usually
> just a simple FIFO) to one one a linux box.  The linux box can run a
> different queue discipline that can prioritize packets much more
> effectively.  For example, give all TCP ACKs top end of the queue
> priority to keep the downloads going at an acceptable level.
>
> More info availabel upon request, again ask warren to have me make a
> wiki (I don't want to put up a wiki that RR wouldn't like, that's what
> FreeNet is for :)
>
> --MonMotha

Oh, the reason for my packet loss has been acknowledged by RR (after I practically spammed them with connection logs) as a problem
in the area, although when I called at first they said noone else is experiencing problems. I think they just acknowledged it as an
area problem so they could say they're working on it and get me off their backs :/  It's been almost 2 months and I still have an
open trouble ticket, though the frequency of this problem reduced somewhat. There isn't really anything I can do about it (according
to them).

As for that Wiki, I think it would be a most interesting reading! Warren: How about it?