[luau] Linux Console

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Jul 26 08:59:00 PDT 2002

Daniel J Nishimura wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.  I want to be able to
> console into my linux box via the COM port with window's hyperterminal
> program.  I know I probably need a rj-45/serial port tranceiver and a
> rollover cable, or just use a serial cable, but are there special settings
> that I have to configure on the linux system?  My linux OS is debian
> by the way.  Thanks in advance.

OK, hardware needed is a null-modem cable.  If you have a bunch of cisco
stuff, you can use their consoel cable (which is a rollover cable) and
two of the DB9 to RJ45 converters.

Special settings:

Make sure your kernel has console on serial port enabled.  This is a
compile time option under character devices.

Add to the kernel line (in lilo use append=) "console=ttyS0,9600"
(replace 9600 with the bit rate of the serial line that you want to use
and replace ttyS0 with the serial port).

Go to /etc/inittab.  Make sure there's a getty running on ttyS0 (or
whatever) so that you can log in.

Reboot; everything should show up on the serial console and you should
get a login prompt as usual.

I use this for my floppy routers sometimes.

--MonMotha