[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Dan George linuxdan at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jul 25 21:52:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday 25 July 2002 17:44, you wrote:
> Dan George wrote:
> > I dont know if anyone here on a RR cable modem has ever had their
> > packet sampled by RR.  They check how much traffic your receiving and
> > when they figure your setting up a server at home they do two things:
> > 1. Contact you for an explaination.  The fact your downloading a lot of
> >     graphics files doesnt cut it anymore because they know...
> > 2. Cutdown your bandwidth to a miserable point where you have to
> >      discontinue running a server. I know this from experience with
> >      just trying to setup a W2K Adv FTP server for practice only.
> > 3. Cutoff your account completely and put you on a list of violators.
> >     You will have to use your wifes name and new address before
> >     you can reconnect to RR.  This news came from a FLEX guy.
>
> #####################
>
> Hmmm...
>

> A subscriber should not run a server on a rr or DSL line. If you want to
> run a server I will be happy to provide you a T1 service for a fair
> price.

   True Al
               But most of us are just getting our certs and cannot afford a
$2000 Cisco Router or a T-1 line whenever we are already spending
$10k on classes and have to work a full time job in the process. If there
was a poor mans server site than sign me up.  But I really have a bad
taste in my mouth whenever business's try to capitalize on the last dime
I have in my pocket whenever I have a wife and two kids to feed. Hawaii
wasnt the smartest move my wife decided on.  Coming from a near
6 figure annual income in CA , I guess she thought I was invicible and
decided to move back home here.  Ive been here two years and seen
nothing but crooks in government.  A regular Mayberry RFD on the dark
side.  For every pot hole I hit reminds me of that fact daily.  Yes, I would
move back but not to lose my wife and kids in the process.  I like the people
here thought quite a bit.  Like Warren and the gang.  We are just helping each
other get through the hard times.