[luau] News - OpenOffice.org 1.0 for Mac OS X

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 25 20:57:01 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Suarez-Potts" <louis at openoffice.org>
To: "discuss-openoffice.org" <discuss at openoffice.org>;
<announce at openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 7:51 AM
Subject: [announce] OpenOffice.org 1.0 for Mac OS X

People,

Here's an update to the continuing work on the Mac OS X port.  On May 7, at
WWDC, the Porting project released a working, developer version of the
application for Mac OS X. That version, built on top of the X11 windowing
system from XFree86, used OpenOffice.org 638c.

Since then, Ed Peterlin and Dan Williams, the two primary developers, have
been very busy, and there have been some improvements. Namely:
    *It runs on OpenOffice.org 1.0
    *It prints (some limitations)
    *It saves

For additional information, see the press FAQ Dan wrote:
http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/pressfaq_ooo-osx.html.

The work that has been done is important, and not only because the port is
ready to be used by any developer (or adventurous user) comfortable with
Darwin and the X11 windowing system.

But more can be done. We very much need developers and adventurous users
willing to help us take the port to Aqua.

OpenOffice.org is attending OSCON, the O'Reilly Open Source Convention,
where we will have a BOF on 2002-07-25, 6-7 pm (PDT), Marina III in the East
Tower, and will have a booth in the Sun area (Sun sponsors OpenOffice.org).

If you are interested in joining in the fun, please visit the Mac module in
the Porting project on OpenOffice.org, http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/.
You can download the application from the sites listed there. Taking it to
Aqua requires some developing skill; but it is still very usable and as with
any Open Source project, we need people to find and file bugfixes.

Louis Suarez-Potts
Community Manager
OpenOffice.org
louis at openoffice.org