[luau] Is there a command in Linux like MS's net session?

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jul 24 10:39:10 PDT 2002

Elizabeth Long wrote:
> I'm looking for anything, Linux command or util program that
> will give me the same kind of info that MS's net session command
> offers, which lists the following for all internal connections
> on network.
>
> computer name
> user name
> client type - OS
> opens
> idle time

"w" (yes, just hit w then enter) will list all users logged in, where
they're logged in from, and how long they've been idle.

To see what fiels they have open, there's lsof and I think fuser.  You
might not have either of them installed by default, but they're out there.

Client type is impossible to determine in this case as ssh and telnet
are standards that any client can speak; they don't require the client
to identify it's OS.

> I use it to keep track of who is logged into the network on which
> machines during the day.
>
> Thanks,
> Liz

--MonMotha