[luau] sun fileserver (source for cheaper components)

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 24 10:07:00 PDT 2002

Dot Com Depot
Sales & Support
___________________________
Work: (408) 738-3895
 sunnyvaledepot.com
Address: 500-H Lawrence Expressway
Sunnyvale, CA

Try these guys out....I've purchased 10,000rpm scsi-2 drive suitable for
pizza box 10's and 20's for around $59/each.  If you have a fedex account
they'll even use that for shipping if you want.

Keep in mind that only about 10% of what they have are on their web
site....they also have stuff like 1gb gbics for $75/each, DDS-3 internal
tape drives for $275 or thereabouts....and the list goes on and on.

Most of their stuff is marked "refurbished" but again most of their stuff is
from field service companies that have done "stock reduction" for products
that are no longer as prevelent.  So most of the stuff that I've purchased
has been new, but labeled refurbished.  Oh yeah....I've spent MONDO bucks
there and so far have never been burned.

Oh yeah....they don't carry sun drive rails...but I found a third party that
has rails for $9/pair, but I gotta dig like mad to find it. If you go to the
valley....it's across the street (lawrence expressway) from Fry's....there
is also a store in the same strip mall that carrys LOTS of wierd surplus
stuff...also worth visiting....but alas, only dot.com depot is willing to do
mailorder to hawaii.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab