[luau] Mandrake 9.0 beta1

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue Jul 23 15:45:01 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:

> Mandrake 9.0 beta1 has been released.  This is your chance to make sure that
> Mandrake 9.0 will work on your hardware.  If a few months from now 9.0 final
> doesn't work on your computer, it is your fault because you didn't test the
> betas and file bug reports specific to your hardware.
>
> Please subscribe to the Mandrake Cooker mailing list if you decide to join
> the beta team.  Please also CC me on bug posts and reports so I can confirm
> bugs.
>
> ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/mandrake/Mandrake-iso/i586/
> Mirrored at the University of Hawaii at this URL.
>
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/90beta.php3
> Official announcementinux 9.0 Beta
> Given the choice of enjoying the summer in the beautiful south of California
> or working on the Mandrake Linux distribution, the twisted MandrakeSoft
> developers chose to stick around and present "Mandrake Linux 9.0 Beta 1."
>
> As with any Beta, this one is probably loaded with nasty bugs which may
> cause serious problems on production systems. Betas are only suitable for
> installation on test systems -- you've been warned!
>
> A "feature freeze" will happen soon, so for anyone willing to put down their
> bottle of suntan lotion long enough to download & test the new Beta, you
> will enjoy:
>
> New desktops:
>
> KDE 3.0.2 and GNOME 2.0 with
>
>   a.. new icons on the KDE desktop
>   b.. new user images
>   c.. new wallpaper
> Tools:
>
> A new tool has been added to the 'drakxtools' family: The 'Drakbugreport'
> client is included with the current beta, and the server version will be
> ready for Beta 2. These tools allow users to easily report bugs for the
> entire drakxtools family.
>
> Many tools have been reworked (bugfixes, better ergonomics, added
> functionality, etc), such as:
>
>   a.. Diskdrake now supports SMB ACLs
>   b.. urpmi has been rewritten to perform much faster
>   c.. Harddrake now uses the same detection engine as DrakX and therefore
> supports many more hardware devices
>   d.. XFdrake has been rewritten to make configuring the X server a snap
>   e.. DrakXTV now supports a larger selection of TV cards for you couch
> potatoes
>   f.. Draknet has been renamed 'Drakconnect'
>
> Install:
>
> The new Beta uses ISOlinux instead of Syslinux (a new way to boot from
> CD-ROM). Please test as many different types of CDROM drives as possible and
> report any problems.
>
> Packages:
>
> Of course you will find the latest & greatest versions of the main packages,
> including:
>
>   a.. kernel 2.4.19 RC1
>   b.. *
>   c.. XFree86 4.2, which supports many video cards previously only supported
> in 3.3.6
>   d.. glibc 2.2.5
>   e.. Apache 1.3.26
> [...]

Warren,

Good Idea!

This is probably the best suggestion you have come up with.

I'll try it on one of the boxes I build and see what happens.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043