[luau] Re: Configuring Router

Tim Burgess tburgess at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 23 12:10:00 PDT 2002

> How many use RR and have a router (Linksys) or do you use a computer
>as a router?  What are the pros and cons.

I use a Linux router as well. Probably the same setup that a lot of
other folks do to. Prior to using a Linux, I had a wireless linksys and
a RR cable modem and when something went wrong, it was very hard to
workout what the hell was going wrong when my connection died.

An unexpected benefit was that my net connection was faster with
Linux. I suspect this is so because the Linksys has a pretty puny
packet processor but I'm not worried about the why.

The only downside is that you have invest a bit of time getting
it setup. But well worth it in my opinion.

Addendum: The newer RR cable modems have a USB port which
I'm connected to using the new USB-USB network support in 2.4
It basically looks like /dev/eth1 to everything else which means you
effectively have a dual-port firewall.

Tim Burgess