[luau] Configuring Router

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue Jul 23 10:47:01 PDT 2002

MonMotha wrote:

> I use a computer as my router :)
>
> I think various other people probably know why :)
>
> Basically, there's a lot of stuff I can do with a linux box I just can't
> do on a cheap linksys router.  Heck, there's stuff I can do with a Linux
> box that I can't do with an expensive Cisco...
>
> --MonMotha
>
> Dan George wrote:
> >  How many use RR and have a router (Linksys) or do you use a computer
> > as a router?  What are the pros and cons.

We use Linux boxes for routers here too as well as at our sattelite
location.
Ours are very solid. Cost is nearly nothing. Some time to make the box
with a 486 board and program the firewall or disc that you use.

Like the Mon says. We like 'em.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043