[luau] Re: java - c question

Tim Burgess tburgess at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 21 11:13:00 PDT 2002

 I liked the way the
rmi stuff worked out for the controller program, and was wondering if
there is any sort of C interface to java rmi?  Or something fairly
similar?

RMI is part of the Sun JDK so I wouldn't expect any
non-Java piece for it. Even the JNI documentation comes
with lots of warnings that you are about to make
code that is not "pure java". And RMI is inherently
OO whereas C of course is not.

I've done work with RMI and apart from the odd weirdness
like stale stubs, it works very nicely. I haven't worked
with CORBA but I have taken a look at it and my
impression was that it was a *much* more complicated beast.
I suspect that catering for a large number of language
bindings makes things inherently more complicated...

Tim