[luau] Recording of Linux for Schools online meeting

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Jul 19 12:54:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Warren Togami wrote:
>http://www.mplug.org/archive/2002/mplug_aim1.html
>This is a recording of Thursday's online AIM meeting where we discussed our
>Hawaii Linux for Schools project.  Jimen Ching will post a summary of the
>meeting sometime Friday.

Thanks Warren.  Sorry for the delay in posting the notes for the AIM
meeting.  Anyway, here it is.  I will put this information on the MPLUG
Wiki tonight.

AIM meeting notes:

The main topic of the meeting was the selection of a network interface
card (NIC) for the thin clients.  The 3c905 came highly recommended.  But
we did not know which EPROM will function in the network boot ROM socket.
If anyone has information about this, please respond.  A part number for
the EPROM would probably help.

If anyone have other recommendations for a good NIC, feel free to let us
know.  The following requirements were agreed upon:

1.  PCI bus based
2.  100BaseT minimum (GigE will probably be considered)
3.  Must have network boot ROM socket

If possible, please provide the card name, manufacturer (i.e. 3COM, etc),
price range, retailer URL or address, part number for the EPROM (if
known), and comment about its reliability (i.e. whether you recommend it
or avoid at all costs).  Since we plan to hook up a bunch (at least 5)
thin clients to each server, we will be buying these by the dozen.  The
schools might have the front the money, so try to find good qualify, but
cheap NICs.

A Wiki page was created for the LTSP project.  I will be updating this
webpage with information about the LTSP project as it progresses.  I have
a few leads on other organizations that are also accepting computer
donations.  I will place these information on the website instead of
emailing it to the list.

I phoned Juliet Begley of the DOE's Computer Recycling Program
(http://www.k12.hi.us/~crecycle/) concerning possible NIC hardware.  It
turns out they only accept complete systems and deliver them to school as
soon as possible.  So they do not store donated computers.  I will put
everything I learned about them on the LTSP Wiki.  Warren, if this is not
the group you wanted me to contact, let me know.

I will also send another email asking for volunteer information.  So keep
an eye open for that.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org