[luau] New school LTSP project

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 18 15:51:01 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "T. David Burns" <burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: [luau] New school LTSP project

> I'm still not too clear on what software is loaded/available on the
> clients. Web browser, office type setup?

Software available for free for schools:
Any Linux desktop software including
* Web Browsers - Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Konqueror, Galeon, etc.
* OpenOffice 1.0.1 available for free
* StarOffice 6.0 is better, and available for unlimited free license for
schools if the school registers with Sun.  If the school has registered
under the Sun Microsystems academic license, I will install and configure
StarOffice 6.0 for the clients.
* GIMP graphics editing
* almost any other software you can find for the Linux desktop

Configuring this properly is NOT trivial, especially StarOffice/OpenOffice
because of its stupid "Workstation" install needed for every user.  Over the
past few months we have automated this "Workstation" install, but it
requires customization after the LTSP server install to work properly.

> With all that fine print I can see why we're not unloading them fast. I
> hope the non-profit idea flies.
>
> Dave

This is not why they are being unloaded quickly.  These are absolutely
required or the system will NOT be setup properly, maintained properly or
used effectively by the school.