[luau] HELP please, need "undelete" / data recovery utility for FAT32 (Win 98)

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Thu Jul 18 09:42:00 PDT 2002

Robert Green wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to fix a system for a friend. It is (was) a windows 98
> machine, and his ex-employee either dragged the whole drive into the
> trash can, or did a recursive delete from the command line -- I don't
> know which one it was.
>
> When you start the machine, it will come up to the C:\ prompt, and
> the directory listing shows COMMAND.COM and a couple of other
> hidden/archive/read-only files. I don't have the directory printout
> since we didn't have any internet connection at his shop (that was
> one of the things the machine was used for).
>
> He doesn't know where the original restore CD is, and I don't think
> they had any backup (DOH!). He was out of town when the machine was
> sabotaged.
>
> Anyhow, to make a long story short, I am looking for a CLI "undelete"
> type program that will work with win 98 (I think that's a FAT 32 file
> system?), preferably an open-source or free util.
>
> Does the Dos 5.x undelete util work for win 98?
>
> since I'm doing this as a favor and I don't want to spend big money
> on this. I don't mind my time, but I can't shell out hundreds on
> dedicated data recovery software for this. I'm hoping it will be an
> easy fix (it doesn't look like the culprits were terribly smart about
> how it was done, and I am wondering if a simple undelete type program
> will work. Short of that, I can try restoring files to a second drive
> and then seeing if I can put the peices back on.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance, folks!
>
> Aloha,
>
> Rob

I just converted a crashed Win 98 to Red hat 7.2 Linux with Open Office.
Try that it will be a better box for your friend.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043