[luau] HELP please, need "undelete" / data recovery utility for FAT32 (Win 98)

Robert Green aloha_moon at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 18 08:23:01 PDT 2002

Hi Folks,

I am trying to fix a system for a friend. It is (was) a windows 98
machine, and his ex-employee either dragged the whole drive into the
trash can, or did a recursive delete from the command line -- I don't
know which one it was.

When you start the machine, it will come up to the C:\ prompt, and
the directory listing shows COMMAND.COM and a couple of other
hidden/archive/read-only files. I don't have the directory printout
since we didn't have any internet connection at his shop (that was
one of the things the machine was used for).

He doesn't know where the original restore CD is, and I don't think
they had any backup (DOH!). He was out of town when the machine was
sabotaged.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I am looking for a CLI "undelete"
type program that will work with win 98 (I think that's a FAT 32 file
system?), preferably an open-source or free util.

Does the Dos 5.x undelete util work for win 98?

since I'm doing this as a favor and I don't want to spend big money
on this. I don't mind my time, but I can't shell out hundreds on
dedicated data recovery software for this. I'm hoping it will be an
easy fix (it doesn't look like the culprits were terribly smart about
how it was done, and I am wondering if a simple undelete type program
will work. Short of that, I can try restoring files to a second drive
and then seeing if I can put the peices back on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance, folks!

Aloha,

Rob