[luau] SparcStation IPX

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Jul 16 18:22:01 PDT 2002

al plant wrote:

> Hi Mon,
>
> You might try Solaris 8 ( It is given away free.)  or what about FreeBSD
> I have got that to run on all kinds of boxes. I use FreeBSD 4.5 which is
> stable.

I don't think Solaris 8 will run on it (and I thought it was only free
for x86?).  Even if it would, it would be hellishly slow (only a 40MHz
proc after all).  I personally don't like FreeBSD, but I'm OK with the
other BSDs.

Anyway, it turns out that the 2.1GB HDD is physically bad (it does sound
like an angle grinder after all...), so I'll have to put the old 400MB
one back in for now, and I want to keep RH5.2 on it.  Anyway, RH should
at least run better with 52MB of RAM instead of 16.

--MonMotha