[luau] small bug, make or editor?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Mon Jul 15 17:38:06 PDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Ray Strode wrote:
>> .SUFFIXES: .java .class
>I don't think you need the .SUFFIXES directive.  According to the make
>manual, this method is deprecated.

Which manual says it is deprecated?  The .SUFFIXES directive tells gmake
to discard the default rules listed.  Otherwise, your new rules will be
added to the default.  Which is usually not what you want.

>Note the .PHONY directive.  Without it, if you ever created a file
>called, "jar" or "clean" inside the srcdir, then the "jar" or "clean"
>targets wouldn't work (respectively).

This would seem to get out of hand if you had 10's of rules.

>For the clean directive, it's better to put a - before the $(RM), just
People call these 'rules'...Directives are like .ifeq, or .PHONY.
Basically, anything that starts with a period.

>in case you don't have any class files (- means make shouldn't care if
>the command returns non-zero exit status.)  It actually doesn't matter
>in the default case, I don't think, because $(RM) is normally expanded
>to "rm -f".

It is safer to set RM yourself.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org