[luau] Red Hat vs. Mandrake vs. SuSE

Dan George linuxdan at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 10 22:45:00 PDT 2002

I know that if you come in to CompUSA you will notice more people follow the
ads not really trying to get the latest gadgets that come out. They may look
hard and calculate the cost then head over to the sale items. Most of the
time the small to medium sized business people get the emachines. They dont
buy a good backup program like Veritas and then come in screaming less than
six months later because they didnt buy extended warranty for the three
years or lost all their customer data.
Some of them are even foolish enough to try and run XP for a business PC or
the IMAC (now EMAC).  It drives me crazy that they dont realize that you get
what you pay for. Id rather keep my P3-500, which hasnt failed in three
years, than go out and buy the latest PC. Intel came out with a MLB, CPU and
DDR (256) for $179. They threw in a RAID board if you bought the CPU
P4-1.6 to P4-2.0 and DDR RAM for $165 for $14.  They meant $114 but due to a
typo, they had to sell at that price and a couple techs bought it. I wish I
could have had that deal. AMD is coming out with special soon. The only
thing I didnt like about the board was that besides the RAID, Onboard sound
and video it didnt have onboard SCSI. I prefer a board with just onboard
SCSI and maybe RAID not sound or video.