[luau] Firewalls

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Jul 7 09:41:00 PDT 2002

Windows 2000 and Linux use COMPLETELY different networking stacks and
will probably never have the same firewall apps available (unless
someone decides to make a firewall with a common frontend and pluggable
backends, and this is possible).  On Linux, there is a built in packet
filter known as "iptables" on 2.4 or "ipchains" on 2.2.  The BSDs have
"pf" or "ipf".  Windows doesn't (to my knowledge) have a built in,
configurable packet filter.  WinXP has one, but it's far from
configurable.  I don't think Win2k has one at all.  Under Win2k, you
will probably need to buy something like ZoneAlarm (which I've heard is
decent) or BlackICE (which is a joke).

--MonMotha