[luau] Burn-In Test/Heat Sink Cooler

Dan George LinuxDan at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jul 4 14:02:00 PDT 2002

I know two master techs who have specialized in cooled heatsinks and thermal coolers for AMD cpus. I can tell you that cross cooling fans arent the answer. There is a special gel that sits between the heat sink and cpu that repells heat from the sides of the gel. The gap created by the gel between the heatsink and cpu showed in test that heat was significantly repelled away from the processor and reduced temperature on the CPU by as much as 28 degrees on an overclocked processor.  On the case door opposite of the motherboard he placed a 4 inch thermal fan.

 Also, Ive seen where people have actually put fans in the wrong places.  Once where the suction of one case fan caused the CPU fan to reverse and drew heat into the processor rather than pull it away. One guy had a SCSI chain inside his tower and I could have fried an egg on top of his case. He couldnt figure out why his MLB was warped or CPU froze up all the time.  He went through 4 processors before he brought it in to us. Weve built hundreds of Linux Boxs (AMD Athlon) and all maintained 74 degrees or less inside temp.