[luau] doing the Limbo

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Jul 3 23:16:00 PDT 2002

They haven't made any giant leap forwards in Rawhide during 7.x, but now
that they are moving to the next major version they no longer have to
maintain compatibility.  This means brand new glibc, gcc 3.1, Gnome2,
largely re-written installer that uses ISOLinux rather than El Torito and
native video drivers rather than generic Vesa, LVM available during
installation, and tons more.

Apache upgraded to 2.0 series, package renamed to "httpd".
Netscape 4.7x removed entirely.
RPM will now suggest packages to install if you are missing dependencies.
Tons more system configuration tools.
Other stuff...

Read the entire RELEASE-NOTES here:
ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/redhat/linux/beta/limbo/en/os/i386/RELEAS
E-NOTES

With tons of new tools, massive upgrades and massive rewrites of stuff
especially with respect to installation and X driver support, it is vital
that we test this distro on as many different hardware combinations as
possible.  If you find ANY problem, even if it is easily worked around,
please file a Bugzilla report and CC me.  If you aren't sure what to write,
I'll help you test it in order to write a proper Bugzilla report.