[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum cases

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 01:47:00 PDT 2002

It's my understanding that lowering the voltage on electric motors
generally increases the heat buildup in the motor windings and leads to
a shorter life expectancy of the motor.  There are motor speed
controllers that chop the wave.  An interesting question would be: "How
is the speed of a household fan controlled.  I don't think they have
true speed controllers.  Most likely they just add a resistor in series
with the fan motor.  However, I'm just guessing, as I don't really know
how they work.  I do know that they tend to be very cheap, so whatever
the solution is, it can't cost too much.