[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum cases

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 2 06:09:01 PDT 2002

Refrigeration systems tend to use Steel in the condenser coil (the hot
one) and aluminum or copper in the evaporative coil.
My feeling is that copper would tend to hold the heat, for example  a
copper clad bottom on a pot or skillet.  I'm pretty certain that
aluminum cooling fins are the most efficient, although aluminum car
radiators aren't very good while car radiators with copper fins are
common  and easy to repair.

Maybe wayne can get the heater coil out of a car and put that outside
his house with a small electric water pump.  Then he could pipe in the
cooled water through a copper tube forced in between the  fins of an
aluminum heat sink.

I'm not sure if aluminum cases have any practical value when it comes to
cooling, but they are lighter weight, so they would be good if the
computer is transported a lot.  Perhaps old heat sinks could be salvaged
and glued onto the top and sides of a steel or aluminum case to improve
heat dissipation..