[luau] Underclocking

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jul 1 15:22:00 PDT 2002

1. Since the power consumption is proportional to the "square" of
voltage.  Thus, if I cut the core voltage from the default 1.75 volt to,
say, 1.5 volt, I will be able to reduct the wattage by about 25% (or
from 65 W to 50 W).  I don't know whether the Athlon XP will be stable
at 1.5 V.  Does anyone know the answer?

2.  Furthermore, since a desktop case (unless you have an aluminum case)
 does not have the same overall heat dissipation efficiency as a modern
day laptop, a desktop CPU may require a lower wattage (again, unless you
use an aluminum case) to operate in a fanless manner.

3.  I am thinking about re-arranging my desktop box so that the hard
drive(s) and both CDROM drives will be located ourside of the case
(i.e., the IDE cables will be extended outside of the case).  Any
potential problems? Perhaps someone is crafty enough to build a
transparent lucite case to house those IDE drives.

4.  My 1800+ Athlon XP package (CPU plus fan) is much quieter than my 1
GHz T-Bird.  I also strongly recommend the ASUS A7V333 MB, whose Q-Fan
feature makes it a great machine for office desktops.

5.  PII and PIII are very poor choices for Linux GUI desktops because
they have only one "pipeline" (especially when you run a graphically
intensive program).  Furthermore, while both machines were substantially
quieter than my 1 GHz T-Bird, they are actually not as quiet as my new
1800+ Athlon XP.

6.  Water-cooled system seems interesting.  But what's the chance that
the system may leak thus really messing up your PC?