[luau] Underclocking

Robert Green aloha_moon at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 1 14:54:00 PDT 2002

--- "W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001 at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> The problem with a fancy heat sink is that (I used to teach heat
> transfer in college), when the fins collect dust, the heat transfer
>
> efficiency will be compromised substantially.  The fancier the fins
> are
> designed, the more substantial the reduction will be.
>
> The best approach is to underclock the CPU, or use a mobile Athlon.

Right, I've studied some heat transfer as well; I haven't
experimented, with things, but I would think that the degree of dust
collection over the life of an average computer should be fairly
minor. You would still get a lot of heat better heat dissipation
compared to just a bare CPU, regardless of the clock speed.

I think that it is likely that even significant underclocking may not
result in a sufficient reduction in heat output to eliminate the need
for a heat sink entirely. At any rate, it seemed like it might be
useful for what you were asking about.

Aloha,

Rob