Article: Oracle's 'whole business' will run on Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 31 15:36:04 PST 2002

Oracle is moving their in house servers from HP-UX to Linux, supported by
Red Hat if they need help.  There are several good and funny quotes of
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison in this article.  This is the same guy that created
the "New Internet Computer" Linux based Interenet appliance/Thin Client.

My current list of good Linux supporting companies:
IBM
HP
Compaq
Oracle
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0131ellison.html

"Oracle is about to replace three Unix servers that run the bulk of its
business applications with a cluster of Intel servers running Linux, Oracle
Chairman and CEO Larry Ellison said Wednesday. He also predicted the
"inevitable" demise of large server systems, exposing a potential conflict
of interest with longtime ally Sun.  The Oracle chief made his comments
while touting the benefits of Oracle's clustering technology to an audience
of financial analysts. Clustering allows customers to run applications or a
database across a group of relatively low-cost Intel servers, with the goal
of reducing costs and boosting reliability.  Instead of upgrading three of
its older Hewlett-Packard Unix servers, Oracle will move its application
server and business software to Linux-based Intel machines later this year,
Ellison said. "We'll be on Linux no later than the summer, so we'll be
running our whole business on Linux," he said. . .  He favors Intel servers
because they are "cheap" and can be easily replaced, he said, and he picked
Linux over Microsoft Windows because Linux is "much safer if you're on the
Internet." Ellison is a longtime Microsoft foe."

http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/0131ellison.html