Sony Releases Linux for Playstation2 Kit version 1.0

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Wed Jan 30 13:33:49 PST 2002

Hi all,

    This is the REAL reason that Microsoft came out with the X-Box.
 I've thought about this before and know that the only real reason that
Microsoft enters new areas of competition is to protect their core
monopolies of OSes and office suites.  They formed MSN because they were
afraid of AOL taking away users with non-windoze internet appliances and
non-IE browsers, and the thought of Sony offering a Linux distro for the
PS2 terrifies them.  If they can smother the PS2, they'll head off
another OS competitor.

Just had to vent,
-Jeff

Warren Togami wrote:

> Leader in Computer Entertainment Responds to Consumer Demand by Supporting
>                  Popular Open-Source Linux Operating System
>
>    LINUXWORLD CONFERENCE & EXPO, NEW YORK, Jan. 30 /PRNewswire/ --
>Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced today that it is set to
>release "Linux (for PlayStation 2)" Release 1.0, targeted toward the Linux
>development community in North America.  Designed as a hobbyist development
>environment, users can not only run the wide variety of computer
>applications
>written for the Linux operating system, but also create original programs
>and
>applications designed to run on "Linux (for PlayStation 2)."  The company
>expects the kit to sell for about $199 USD when it is made available in
>May 2002 exclusively through its website, http://www.us.playstation.com .
>    (Photo:  NewsCom:
> http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20000510/SFW104-a )

[SNIP]