Mouse problems

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 15:12:57 PST 2002

Hi everyone,
I 'd like to thank all of you for the oodles of info i've read on this list,
and hope that some day i'm knowledgeable enough to contribute.

That aside, i am having excruciatingly painful mouse problems with Rhat 7.2.
I just installed it on a 2nd drive on my P200 winolose box, and the damn
serial mouse works on that side, so i know the mouse works.

I got it working at one point by following some stuff i found on the web:
1. remove the mouse file from /etc/sysconfig
2. change /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS0 in the /etc/X11/X86FConfig file.
3. remove 3 button emulation.

This was fine and dandy until i used up2date and downloaded all the latest
packages (this seems to have been my demise), the progress bar of which read
100% when to my dismay, the screensaver came on and froze.  Due to the red i
saw, i'm not sure exactly what happened next, but i believe i hit
ctrl-alt-backspace and restarted the machine.
Upon reboot, kudzu detected a new mouse, which i let it configure. Now,
however, i have no mouse movement in X or on the  console.. and the settings
are back to the way they were.  I changed them again, but to no avail.
I'll be happy to provide any other info.

thanks in advance,
dean